National Children’s Week at Epsom Dental Care
As part of National Children’s Week (from 18-26 October), Epsom Dental Care is sharing the good news that if children have healthy teeth, they have a great chance of keeping them for life and avoiding dental problems.
If dental diseases can be prevented in childhood, they are likely to be avoided or significantly reduced in later life. Likewise, if a dental disease arises in childhood, it is inevitably a predictor of dental disease for later life.
To ensure that all our children are taught good dental hygiene that can last a lifetime, your Belmont WA dentist wants all adults to know the following approaches.
Healthy Dental Habits for Children
Practising good oral hygiene is important for everyone at every age. Engaging in regular dental hygiene practices helps prevent gum disease, cavities, and more severe health conditions.
Good oral hygiene at home and regularly visiting your dentist is essential to maintaining a healthy mouth.
Parents can participate in promoting good oral hygiene practices by following the tips below:
- Brush your child’s teeth at least twice daily, using small circular motions. Children’s teeth should be cleaned after eating and before bed using fluoride toothpaste suitable for children, which can help strengthen the teeth enamel and prevent decay.
- Get into a regular toothbrushing routine, and give your child plenty of praise when they brush their teeth properly.
- Replace toothbrushes or toothbrush heads every 3 months, when already worn or frayed, or when they just recovered from an illness.
- Supervise or guide children with their toothbrushing until they are at least 7 years old.
- When they begin brushing by themselves, check every few days to ensure they are doing it properly.
- Bring your child in for dental check-ups twice a year.
- Make sure your child eats a healthy, balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Try to limit acidic and sweet foods and drinks consumption.
- As your child’s permanent teeth erupt, you should make your Belmont WA dentist aware of any teeth or jaw misalignment. We will advise if corrective treatment is required.
How Epsom Dental Care Can Help
Starting early with oral hygiene in children leads to healthier smiles and building healthy habits for a lifetime.
Practising good oral hygiene in children is important, and there are many appliances available to help teach young children. Still, the best way to encourage healthy habits in children is by modelling these behaviours in your home.
At Epsom Dental Care, we bulk bill for young patients eligible for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule, which provides basic dental services to qualifying children. CDBS provides $1,095 worth of services for over two consecutive calendar years.
Child Dental Benefits Schedule in Belmont WA
Bulk Bill for eligible children
Up to $1,095 worth of dental treatments over two years
We are located at 5/132 Epsom Ave in Belmont WA.