Dental Tips: How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?
Dental Health Week 2020 is here!
Dental Health Week aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing at least two times every day with fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Cleaning between your teeth daily using floss or interdental brushes.
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
This year’s campaign focuses on the dangers sugar does to one’s oral health, aiming to help Australians to ‘get sugar savvy’.
Getting sugar savvy includes checking on recommended daily sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and spells out the effect sugar has on our teeth.
This information is supported by three main sugar messages:
- Avoid consuming foods and beverages with added sugars.
- Opt for foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Look out for hidden sugars when buying foods and drinks.
These important messages will be reinforced through the tagline: ‘How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?’, which draws on the concept of:
(1) hidden sugars and
(2) checking food labels to make healthy choices
Make Smart Food Choices While Grocery Shopping
Making healthy choices while grocery shopping means making similar smart food and drink choices at home.
Refusing to buy an unhealthy item in the supermarket means you don’t have to continue saying ‘no’ at home.
We may think that everyone is doing a good oral hygiene routine; the reality is that many Australians’ oral health is not at its best.
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have had a dental check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once a day.
- Nearly 40% of Australians never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people are consuming too much sugar.
- 47% of adults are consuming too much sugar.
Visit your trusted Belmont WA dentist for a one-on-one consultation where your questions and concerned can be answered.
Epsom Dental Care and your Dental Health
At Epsom Dental Care, we know that going to the dentist is not everyone’s favourite activity, but we will make it as enjoyable for you as possible.
We are here to answer any of your questions and ensure that you have a healthy and beautiful smile.
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Belmont WA
If you have any questions about our services, we are happy to answer them and also schedule you an appointment. Contact us today at (08) 9478 2349.
We are located at 5/132 Epsom Ave in Belmont WA.